Born in Holland, Jeanne (pronounce it like the French do) lived in The Netherlands and Northern Africa, before immigrating to Vancouver, Canada in 1999. Since that time she has been busy establishing herself as a talented mixed media artist with European flair on the West Coast. Jeanne is an artist full of energy and passion. Painting has always been part of Jeanne's daily life. She has formal training in the European art tradition and extensive exhibit experience both in Europe and North America. Her abstract and semi-abstract work is often based on architectural elements, but a large part of her work is also rooted in landscape. After finishing art training in The Netherlands and France, she started painting in themes, working with acrylics, water colour, oil paint, encaustic techniques, printmaking and collage. Working in themes, in series of paintings, allows her to explore a theme or concept. This way the process of painting is for her by itself a journey, a voyage through ideas, composition, texture and colour. Always trying to get as close as she can to the story she wants to share.
Stylistically many of her works hover somewhere between representational and abstract. Her compositions are built up through the use of overlapping fragmented painted motifs, torn handmade paper, copies of documents, handwritten words and altered photographs. With a strong sense of colour Jeanne creates paintings, tactile compositions, that are peaceful yet full of movement, subtle yet powerful.
Jeanne's most recent series of abstracts are based on the theme "TOUCHED". The theme covers the places we normally don't look, the back side of our cities, the places we don't show to our visitors coming to town. Not only are these places over time touched by many people and environmental impact, they also touch the artist: "Preparing my paintings and looking at these places I think of the many people who live on the streets of our cities and towns, for whom these walls are their wallpaper, their backdrop, their home." The works in this series are all painted on a built surface of different textural materials such as acrylics, altered images, wax and oil paint, sometimes using rust and patinas to add more depth to her work.
A large part of Jeanne's work has been sold at exhibitions, but individuals and corporations have also commissioned her. Over the years, many of Jeanne's paintings have found a home in Europe, North America, Australia, South Africa, Japan and China.
- Experimental techniques: Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, Vancouver, Canada (2001)
- Mixed Media: Vancouver Academy of Art, Canada (2000)
- Photography and Design Diploma: Studio Rosenberg Academy, Utrecht, The Netherlands (1997)
- Independent Work, Painting/Mixed Media/Graphic Arts: Artibus Academy of Fine Arts, Utrecht, The Netherlands (1990)
- Painting: Ecole Nationales Superieurs des Beaux Arts, Paris, France (1988)
- Degree Adult Education, Windesheim, The Netherlands, (1988)
- Degree Agogical Professional Training Art Therapy/Play therapy, SOAB, The Netherlands, (1986)
- Fine Arts Certificate: Royal College PBNA, Arnhem, The Netherlands (1978)
My Exhibitions Page provides an overview of my exhibitions.
- De R-u-i-m-t-e - Artist in residency with exhibition, The Netherlands, 2004
- The Banff Centre - Artist In Residency program (BAIR) Early Fall 2011.
- Emily Carr Institute for Art and Design, Vancouver, 2006 - ongoing
- Langara College, Vancouver, 2011
- Creekside Community and Recreation Centre (Olympic Village), Vancouver, 2010 - ongoing
- Metchosin International School of Art, Victoria, BC, 2007, 2008, 2010
- Red Deer College, Red Deer, AB, 2006
- Coal Harbour Community Centre, Vancouver, 2005 - ongoing
- Coast Resource Centre, Vancouver, Canada 2004 - ongoing; Members exhibition May 2005, May 2006, June 2007, Sept 2008, Olympic Art Show CONNECT, Feb/Mar 2010, members exhibition September 2011
- HoogSticht College, Utrecht, The Netherlands 1994 -1999
- Dennendal, Den Dolder, The Netherlands 1989 – 1994
- Dabar College, Zwolle, The Netherlands 1984 -1989
- Vienna Summerschool of the Arts, Vienna, Austria, 1984
- University of Nijmegen, Faculty of Arts and Social studies, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 1981 – 1983
- And several workshops, weekend courses and painting trips in The Netherlands and Canada, 1985 – ongoing
- Global TV News, about the production of the Annual Coast Art Show 2012
- North Shore News, interview on the exhibition INVESTIGATIONS at Seymour Art Gallery Deep Cove, 2012
- CBC radio The Early Edition with Rick Cluff April 2010 – interview about the art show “ALLEY WAYS at the Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery, Vancouver
- Jewish Independent April 2010 – interview and review of the show ALLEY WAYS with Norm Chodirker
- CBC The National Feb 2010 – TV interview with Bob Nixon about Jeanne’s work with Coast Mental Health and the CONNECT Art Show
- Reader’s Digest Dec 2009 – interview ‘Art From The Edge’ about the artist’s volunteer art work with Coast Mental Health
- Granville Island News Mar 2009 – interview ‘Tenant of the Month’
- Channel M, Chai Time May 2008 - TV interview about the series “A Travel Journal”
- http://www.blueprintreview.de/27what.htm - a collaboration of poets on Jeanne's painting Transition, published in BluePrint Review
- Art From the Edge, Readers Digest, December 2009
- Royal University Willem Pompe, The Netherlands, illustration of dissertation Dr. L.H.M. Slits, 1990
- Tienerlatijn, Creative Magazine For Teenagers, writer, 1982 – 1989
- “Art and Rhythm”, a book on the influence of rhythm on arts and play, writer, 1985
- “The Boy Who Started To Grow”, dissertation on Art Therapy, writer, 1987
- “Hotel Victoria”, writer/producer of a musical with residents, relatives and friends of the people in Dennendal, the Netherlands, 1994
- “Lord of The Rings”, producer of a two months Summer festival with residents of Dennendal, The Netherlands, 1991